Thursday, 25 July 2013

Inspired by: Dr Spencer Reid outfit


Now, I love a good geek, me. Not in an ironic Topshop geek t-shirt way, though. You wouldn't catch me dead in one of those, but I'm not opposed to a little bit of geek chic. This is where Dr Spencer Reid comes in. Criminal Minds is one of my favourite tv programmes and Dr Reid is the resident intellectual. This means that he's dressed like a stereotypical geek, complete with sweater vests and satchels. However, for someone who gives supposedly little thought to his appearance, he does end up looking surprisingly well put together. This was probably after the wardrobe department realised that he was a very popular character. There is a marked change from the earlier series, where he goes from a hot mess, to just plain hot. Still, I'm not complaining. Here's my interpretation of his effortless geeky style.

Clothes




As you can see above, Reid's look is based around v-neck knitwear, plain shirts and coordinating ties. This isn't too hard to recreate, but I think it's important to keep it tonal and not matchy-matchy. Reid generally sticks to dark, or earthy palettes and doesn't do brights. A classic shirt from TM Lewin should do the job, with a cardigan like this one with a contrast trim from Mango. Any straight leg, smart trousers will do, like these Next cigarette trousers. I picked a blue palette, since I like it, but you could easily do this with any colour, so long as you weren't going for neon. Reid wears a tie, but I think that would be walking the thin line between cosplaying Reid and being inspired by his style, so I wouldn't opt to wear one, but feel free if you think you could rock it.

Make Up




For make-up, keep it neutral and matte. I don't think Reid himself would really bother with make up. He may be a genius, but that doesn't mean he's right about everything. I'd start with a tinted moisturiser, like No7 Triple Protection Tinted Moisturiser, to keep your skin really simple and flawless. I wouldn't recommend recreating MGG's famous dark under eye circles! Something like GOSH's Matt Duo Eye Shadow in Brown Base would be good for eye shadow, paired with Seventeen Doll'd Up Mascara in Brown/Black, which gives a really natural look. You could finish it off with a cream blusher, like MUA's Blush Perfection Cream Blusher, which is an absolute bargain. I don't think you really need much more than this. After all, Reid's look is pretty fuss free.

Hair


Reid's crowning glory is his tousled mane. To imitate this, I'd highly recommend the Bumble & bumble surf spray, which gives glorious beachy waves. To enhance these, you could always use curling tongs, such as this Babyliss Hair Curling Wand, but don't forget the heat defence, like this one from Tresemme. The messier the better for hair, but within reason. You don't want to look like you got on the wrong side of an unsub.

Accessories


As for accessories, I think you need to keep it simple. Jewellery feels a little out of place, so let your bag do the talking and really, would the look be complete without a satchel from the Cambridge Satchel Company? I think not. Any leather satchel will do, but these are so well made it's hard to find a better option. Reid often wears black Converse All Stars to work, which is something I'm always sceptical about. Would the FBI allow trainers as work wear? I suppose when you help catch serial killers, it doesn't really matter what footwear you've got on, so long as you get the job done. However, if you don't have a lax dress code, then you could easily wear brogues or loafers to complete the look. Remember to pair them with mismatched socks, though. That's essential.

So, there we have it, a complete Spencer Reid look. Now, who should I do next?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...