Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Bourjois So Matt Top Coat Review

I have been on the hunt for a matte top coat for the longest time. I had my eye on Rimmel's Matte Finish Top Coat but I am not kidding when I say that I visited at least 6 Boots shops and could not find one for the life of me. What is that about?! Are they really rare or out of stock or something? I even went to Westfield, which has a massive Boots and nope, nothing. So disappointing. 

But, having gone all that way, I thought I should probably get a top coat anyway and was resigned to paying £12.00 for the Nails Inc Westminster Matte Top Coat, when I spotted the Bourjois So Matt Top Coat for around the £6 mark and I was delighted. Boots is having a buy one get one half price event at the moment anyway, so I couldn't really say no.

Bourjois So Matt Topcoat and & other stories Wincey Clay
Will they make good bedfellows? Let's find out...

Having not used a matte top coat before, I'm afraid that I don't have anything to compare it to, so cannot recommend the best matte top coat, and can but give my opinion on this one.

Today, I have paired it with one of the & other stories nail colours, Wincey Clay. I think that this colour is a good dupe for OPI's You Don't Know Jacques, which is a colour that I've had my eye on for ages, but didn't want to fork out £12 for. Fortunately, this & other stories polish is a pretty close match and is only £5, which sits a bit better with my inner accountant. Score.

I do like this nail varnish, but one thing does put me off. The name, Wincey Clay. Who came up with that? Apparently wincey is a type of cloth. Riiiight. I think it's just supposed to sound a bit whimsical. Sounds a bit weird if you ask me. If you have a look at the other names in the & other stories nail varnish collection, you'll see that they're all a bit odd. Worsted Aubergine anyone? Eurgh. Good colour selection, though.
Anyway, my camera pretty much died here, so you're going to have to wait until after my birthday when I finally get a DSLR (yessssss) and can take some decent pictures, so in the meantime, here's an instagram photo. Not great, I know, but it'll do.

Bourjois So Matt Top Coat
The filter doesn't distract from the finish...right?
As you can (sort of) see, the top coat dries pretty instantaneously to a beautiful matte finish. It's advisable to keep it really thin, otherwise it takes ages to dry. I don't think it's as robust as some other top coats, as my nails have already messed up because I can't stand sitting still and doing nothing. I start picking things up, and then my nail varnish gets little imprints in it and it all goes wrong. However, I think that's more down to me being impatient than any actual fault with the nail varnish.

For my first matte top coat, I'm really impressed with this one. It makes my nails matte and is pretty inexpensive. I don't know why some of the others are double the price when they produce the same effect. I'd say high street definitely wins over high end in this case. Four for you, Bourjois, you go Bourjois.
 
♥ Follow me on Bloglovin' / Instagram / Twitter ♥

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like your blog too :) I've followed you on bloglovin. Can't wait to read more

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous!!Your blog is lovely!!!! Would you like to follow each other on bloglovin' ? xxx
    Gleaming Spire // Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I really like your blog too. I've followed you :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the follow.
    Follow you back on bloglovin.
    Lovely greets from germany. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...