Monday, 23 September 2013

Laura Mercier from the Liberty Beauty Hall

It was my birthday last week and one of my friends very generously gave me a Liberty gift coin and I was overjoyed. I love Liberty. It's possibly my favourite department store. It feels like a real treat to even step foot into Liberty and to actually have an excuse to spend some money in there, well, it was a dream come true! 

Liberty of London Department Store
What a stunner
I had done a little bit of research before stopping by, after all, you don't go into a beauty hall completely blind. I settled on Laura Mercier as my brand of choice. I do not own anything by Laura Mercier, or anything vaguely high end. As I said in my Liebster Award post, the most expensive make up item that I own is a Mac palette that I got for Christmas, so I have never spent a great deal of money on one item. Sure, I spend money on make up, but it's usually on a lot of items, rather than just one. This, however, was about to change.

I made a beeline for the Laura Mercier counter and got chatting to one of the sales assistants. I told her that I had my eye on a foundation and she sat me down for a consultation. She removed my foundation and then told me that I shouldn't be using a foundation and that I should be using a tinted moisturiser, since I had good skin and didn't need a lot of coverage. This surprised me because I thought that my skin was pretty bad, but maybe it's actually alright!

She also proceeded to tell me that all my make up was wrong for my colouring, except my eyeshadow. Lol. She did say this in a nice way and wasn't at all rude. It was actually quite useful to hear some professional advice. Usually I pick things based on whether I like them or not, without really thinking about whether it will suit me at all, so maybe it was for the best that she told me this now.

Laura Mercier Foundation and Lipstick
My two new faves

She told me that I shouldn't be wearing any cool toned, blue products (especially not pinks) and I should pick warmer, orangey toned products. I looked at her like she was a bit crazy because, as a ginger, I have always avoided orange like the plague for fear of being compared to any number of orange things- Tango, Wotsits, you name it. However, I was proved wrong because she used orangey toned lipstick and blusher on me and my god did they look good!

I ended up buying two products and with the gift coin, the Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser (£33) and the Creme Lip Colour in Roman Moon (£18.50). I was able to go for the lipstick as well as the tinted moisturiser because it just looked so good on me and I was a bit shocked that it did. She re-did everything on my face, except my eyes and my skin did look pretty good by the time she was through. I did like the concealer et al, but I really didn't think that I'd have time in the morning faffing around with spot concealing, so didn't end up getting it. Maybe another time.

I must say that it was a bit stressful handing over that much money for just two things, but I think for the quality of the items and the treat factor, it was worth it.

Laura Mercier Illuminating Touch Tinted Moisturiser


Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser
Getting fancy in the garden

Following the sales assistant's advice, I went for a tinted moisturiser, rather than a foundation. I've never used a proper tinted moisturiser but remember making one once by mixing my foundation with my moisturiser in an attempt to water down the colour of the foundation. Not a good idea. Thankfully I don't have to do this anymore.

The Laura Mercier illuminating tinted moisturiser is really sheer and I mean really sheer. At first, I was a little apprehensive, since it is so lightweight. I was worried that all my imperfections would be illuminated with big neon signs saying "hey look at my redness!" However, I need to stop thinking that my skin should look perfect and should roll with it. It does have enough coverage to correct any unevenness in skin tone and brightens the complexion, and I need to learn to get over my skin insecurities.

Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser Swatch
There's got to be a better way of doing these hand poses...

The tinted moisturisr is light, breathable and airy. The only drawback is that it is really light coverage, so you're going to need a good concealer if you're spotty or have redness and all that good stuff. It sinks in really quickly and blends really well. I did think at first that it might be a little yellow for me, but it matches my skin tone well once blended.

Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser Swatch
Where's Wally? There's the wally.

I've worn it out a few times and I really like it. It's stayed on all day and hasn't budged, even without primer and although initially I was worried that my redness might show through, this does a pretty good job of concealing it. It doesn't look like I'm wearing anything, so is perfect for a really natural look, which I'm a fan of anyway.

I don't know if this is necessarily the best tinted moisturiser out there, but I like it and that's what matters ha.

Laura Mercier Roman Moon Lipstick

 
Laura Mercier Creme Lipstick Roman Moon

Now, onto the lipstick. This is actually the first high end lipstick I've ever bought. I only actually own Rimmel Lipsticks, which I have reviewed, but that's it. No MAC, no nothing...until now. I have to say that what swung me on this was the colour.

At first, this lipstick looked really scary to me. Really, really scary. I was so confused when the sales assistant brought it over. I thought that she'd done it by mistake, or was taunting me, but actually, it looks really good. I would never have picked it up, but it's a gorgeous orange based coral colour. I really like the name as well, Roman Moon. I can see why they called it that, it does look like a Roman Moon from a mural or something. Gorgeous.

Laura Mercier Creme Lipstick Roman Moon Swatch
I do love a good swatch

This lipstick is really creamy. It feels very moisturising and although you can tell that it's on your lips, it doesn't feel dry or cakey. It glides on really well and dries to a creamy, matte finish, which is gorgeous. As you can see from the swatch, Roman Moon (sorry, I just like the name) is very pigmented and that's with just one sweep. Very impressive. It also stays on the lips pretty much all day, with only a few touch ups needed if you've drunk a lot of water or eaten something really messy.

Laura Mercier Creme Lipstick Roman Moon Swatch
Another awkward lips shot
I really like this lipstick and I'm really grateful for the sales assistant for trying it on me. In the future I'm definitely going to be trying more orangey based colours on my lips, instead of reaching for the cool tones. I think that it really brightens my complexion and makes me look more alive. Pretty impressive for a lowly lipstick.

And there we have it, my first high end purchases. I have to say that I'm impressed with the quality and staying power of both of these. I would baulk at spending that kind of money on a regular basis, but for a special birthday treat, they were amazing. Love love love them.
♥ Follow me on Bloglovin' / Instagram / Twitter ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...