Tuesday, 3 September 2013

The Best Foundation for Pale Skin?!

At last, I have conquered my personal Herculean quest; a lifetime's worth of sleepless nights put to rest; a gargantuan weight lifted from my shoulders... I have finally found a foundation that exactly matches my skin tone. Hallelujah! Rejoice! A parade in the streets in its honour. Cake for all!

Ok, so I'm kidding. I'm not really that melodramatic, but I am pretty happy about my new foundation. I thought it might be a good idea to compare this new foundation to the one that I have been using, for science. Or something to like that.

Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation and Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Foundation
Yes, I do have purple carpet. No, it was not a good decision

Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Foundation

Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Foundation in Believe In Me Ivory
I swiftly realised after buying this that I should have gone to Boots to get the points

This Goddess of foundations is Benefit's Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Foundation in "Believe In Me" Ivory. I am in love with it, and here's why...

Pros

1. It lives up to its name. It is flawless. After I've buffed it into my skin, it doesn't look like I'm wearing foundation at all and it blends in perfectly
2. It actually has a pink undertone! Finally!!! I have a seriously pinky/red undertone thanks to my gingerness and most ivory foundations have a yellow undertone and they do not look good. At all. I look jaundiced and just a bit off. This one suits me so well
3. It is really easy to apply and gives fantastic coverage. I don't need a concealer when using this and it covers my redness with ease
4. It has SPF 25 and other goodies stuffed in there and it doesn't irritate my skin. Hurrah!

Cons

1. It costs £25.50. Ouch. It was pay day, so I went for it, but this is a serious amount of money to drop on a foundation. I did have reservations, but a little does go a long way, especially if you apply it with a brush, rather than your fingers.
2. That's about it. Haha. It might be that I'm just in the honeymoon period with this foundation, but I adore it!

Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Foundation Before
Still a bit shy about putting my face on here, so this'll have to do

Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Foundation After
Can you spot it? I can't

I actually got a colour match in the Benefit store in Covent Garden and unfortunately I didn't catch the name of the make up artist, but she was fantastic. She went through and explained the product properly and talked me through how to get the best out of it. 

Now, some of you may be a little sceptical and think that I might have just been taken in my the sales patter, but I wasn't. I was pretty sure that I wanted the foundation before I entered the shop, and the consultation just confirmed it. It wasn't without trying on her part though! She demonstrated lots of Benefit products on me and while I was tempted by the Rockateur blusher, I thought that £50 on make-up in one go was a little much. So, a win for my self restraint. 

So far, I'm very happy with this foundation. It makes my skin look so clear and even and blends in really easily. It also feels really light and isn't at all cakey, which is something I abhor in a foundation. A real winner in my books. A+ would buy again.

Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation

Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation True Ivory
The purple really offsets the...oh who am I kidding? It's hideous
To compare, before Benefit came into my life, I had been using Rimmel's Wake Me Up Foundation in True Ivory. I know that this is a favourite high street foundation for many, and I may have fallen prey to the hype and caved and bought a bottle. But let me tell you, I really don't think that it lives up to the hype, and here's why:

Pros

1. It's relatively inexpensive, retailing at around the £7 mark in Boots or Superdrug (but as always, watch out for BOGOF offers!)
2. The coverage is decent, but you either need two layers, or concealer for it to be completely effective
3. The foundation does last quite well throughout the day, especially if you set it with powder, like Rimmel's Stay Matte Powder

Cons

1. It has glitter in it. Need I say more? It's supposed to make your skin look 'dewy', but I think that it errs on the side of shiny, rather than shimmery
2. The True Ivory shade is yellow toned. Now, I know that other people have yellow undertones, so this wouldn't be a negative for them, but it is for me
3. It has a bit of a weird smell. A bit plasticy for me
4. It's just...ok. There's nothing particularly special about it. It's alright, I suppose. I don't like that it makes my skin look greasy and it's not anything special. I've heard a lot of hype about this in the beauty community; that it's the quality of a high end product for a high street price, that it's a dupe for this or that, but I just don't agree, sorry. After using the Benefit foundation it's abundantly clear that the Rimmel foundation just can't compete. It's a solid foundation, but the hype has lessened its impressiveness, if that makes sense.

Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation Before
See dat pinky tone?

Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation After
So shiny...so glittery...so not right for me

This is a shame, because I am a high street girl at heart. I like getting high end make up as a treat, but do remain loyal to high street brands. In this case, though, it's high end all the way.

♥ Follow me on Bloglovin' / Instagram / Twitter ♥

1 comment:

  1. If you are looking for an excellent contextual ad network, I recommend you try ExoClick.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...