Monday, 28 October 2013

And now for something completely different...

It's all well and good writing about beauty products and make up and skincare, but you know, that's not all I do! In fact, it's a pretty small part of what I get up to. I started off writing about makeup and skincare because I wanted to actually start putting some research and effort into what I was putting on my face. However, since I can only buy so many cosmetics, I think it's worth documenting some of the other stuff that I get up to.

Recently, I decided to actually get out and do things. I came to the slow realisation that I didn't have any real hobbies and  I wanted to try some new experiences. I had a think and came up with two new activities: archery and art history.

Archery

 
Archery
I'd like to pretend that I risked life and limb to get this shot, but archery is actually really safe
 
My brother and I have recently become obsessed with a programme on the History Channel called Top Shot, which is an American reality show that tests marksmanship with lots of different weapons from throughout history (hence why it's tenuously shown on the history channel). If you haven't seen it, then you should! I have no interest in guns whatsoever, but it is so. funny. Everything explodes, there are hissy fits of epic proportions and drama galore, but also good sportsmanship and some amazing feats of shooting! Watch series 2 if you like rooting for a real sweetie, watch series 4 for amazing shooting and watch series 3 for unbelievably hilarious (and ridiculous) drama.
 
I was inspired by Top Shot to try my hand at archery and am really enjoying it! I'm no Top Shot, but I can consistently hit the target. It's not something that I ever thought about before. I mean, I'm not violent, but I do really like it. It's a sport that requires a lot of accuracy and the ability to be consistent in your movements and sequencing. I like it because it's satisfying to send an arrow into a target and it requires a lot of patience and concentration. It's also pretty simple to pick up and doesn't require you to be particularly fit or strong! Definite bonus..!
 

Art history

 
Art History
What a terribly interesting photo.... hah!
I also decided to start learning again. I finished my degree a few years ago and thought it was time to start filling my brain with something more than celebrity gossip and where to buy the cheapest snickers bars. I settled on art history because I never know what to say when I visit art galleries. I'm only a few lessons into the course, but I'm really enjoying it so far. It's good to be learning, without the pressure of exams and essays, and I can report that it's improved my art gallery enjoyment so far!

It's also inspired me to learn more about Greek and Roman mythology, since it's harder to analyse Renaissance paintings without knowledge of the stories! I think a lot of good has come out of studying again, for one thing, I'm starting to think critically again, which is always a good thing. I'm also more motivated, generally, because I have something that I enjoy to focus on and think about.

This is not to say that Hester Lierre will turn into an archery/art history blog, but I think it's good to touch on these things from time to time, since there's more to my life than lipsticks!

Do you have any hobbies, or have you tried any new things recently?
 
 Do you follow me on Bloglovin' / Instagram / Twitter ? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...