Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Rimmel Lasting Finish Colour Rush Balm Review | The Redder the Better

One look I've never really been quite daring enough to rock is the red lip. It's a staple, a classic, but I've always been a bit, well, scared of it. Not least because I am of the ginger persuasion and you know, do orange and red really go? However, there's no time like the present and I decided to stop being a wimp and just go for it. What's the worst that could happen? I mean, there's always make up remover...

I was actually on the hunt for a matte red lipstick when I stumbled across the Rimmel Lasting Finish Colour Rush Balm collection in Boots. I'd never seen these before, and I think they're pretty new, since I can't actually find them on Rimmel's website... I bought The Redder the Better, a bright tomato red. I was trying to avoid blue undertones, since I don't think they suit me as well, so this one was perfect for me.

There's been a bit of a chubby pencil balm craze recently. It started with Clinique, then Revlon, then Bourjois, and then everyone and their dog was making them. I don't know why Rimmel is so slow on the uptake, but I'm glad that they've finally got their act together because I really like the Colour Rush Balm.

Rimmel Lasting Finish Colour Rush Balm Packaging
You simply must match your lip colour with your book cover, dahling

I previously reviewed a Revlon Kissable Balm Stain and was not that impressed with it. It's safe to say that this Rimmel Colour Rush is much better! For one thing, it doesn't smell of mint and for another thing, the colour really hangs around. I found that Revlon's offering was a little light on the colour payoff and I found it off-putting in its shininess. The colour of the Rimmel Colour Rush Balm is richer and deeper and is much more opaque. I know that the actual colour is different, but the Rimmel Balm has a stronger pigmentation for sure.

Rimmel Lasting Finish Colour Rush Balm Lips
The Redder the Better... agreed!

The colour of the Colour Rush Balm is phenomenal. It promises on the packaging that it's long lasting and intense...and it's not lying! It stains the lips a softer version of the colour, so if you rub the product off, then you're left with something still there. It's a moisturising formula and glides on very easily. I'm impressed! Colour Rush balms are also very inexpensive at £5.99 for one, and would be great for the Christmas party season, or just for everyday use. The finish is sheeny, but not shiny and I think they would be suitable for everyday wear.

There are six other colours in the range, which are mostly pinks and neutrals, which are universally flattering. I only went for this one because I was looking for a red lip, but I might be back for more once payday rolls around! 

Rimmel Lasting Finish Colour Rush Swatches
I do love a good swatch
 
My only real gripe with the Colour Rush Balm is that it's not a one sweep product. If you want a dense colour, then you have to build it up. I tried to show this in the swatches above, they are one to four coats from left to right, but you know, it's not a massive hassle to do this. I'm just incredibly pushed for time in the mornings (I am a serial alarm snoozer), so appreciate one coat products, but this is something I can put on on the bus, so not a huge drawback.

I must admit, I have always been impressed by Rimmel lip products. I've reviewed their Kate Moss Lipsticks and their Apocalips Lip Lacquers favourably before and think that they're always consistently high quality across the board. Bravo, Rimmel! You're onto another winner with the Colour Rush Balms.

The bottom line:  Cheap, highly pigmented, moisturising, what's not to love? Go for it!
 
 Do you follow me on Bloglovin' / Instagram / Twitter ? 
Categories: , , ,

4 comments:

I'd love to hear from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...