Saturday, 22 March 2014

Avon Mega Effects Mascara Review

Avon Mega Effects Mascara Review
Avon Mega Effects Mascara and Playing Cards. Great Mix

It's been a long time, but here's a beauty review! Today it's Avon's Mega Effects Mascara in Black/Brown. I decided to review it because I'd seen a lot of hype around this mascara in the magazines and I thought that I'd see if it lived up to the hype. The big marketing drive focuses on the Mega Effects Mascara having an unusual and innovative applicator: it doesn't have the usual wand, and instead has a weird paintbrush style applicator.

This paintbrush applicator is its unique selling point and is, if I may be honest, a little gimmicky. I tend not to buy into gimmicks and in this case I should have trusted my instincts. This is not to say that it's a terrible mascara, just that Mega Effects is a chore to put on and that's the last thing I want when I am blearily trying to apply mascara to my eyes in the morning. 

Avon Mega Effects Mascara Review
The Mega Effects applicator in action

As you can see from the picture, you hold the brush to paint the mascara onto your eyes. The teeth of the brush aren't dissimilar from your bog-standard mascara wand, but it's the handle that makes this very awkward to apply. I'm right handed, so it's ok on my right eye. A little awkward when getting my bottom lashes, but when is mascara application not? It's when it comes to applying Mega Effects to my left eye that I run into problems. It is so awkward to reach across my nose and attempt to apply the mascara. It takes me a good three coats to get anything out of the mascara and many missed attempts to apply it to my lashes. Maybe I don't have the technique down, but it really is not worth the hassle to apply.

The formula is ok, but did flake later on in the day and I don't think it particularly lengthened, volumised or did anything particularly mega to my eye lashes. Or at least, no more so than a normal mascara with a normal wand. The mascara costs £10 to buy, which is a little more than I'd pay for a mascara normally, and it's really not worth it. The awkward handling of the applicator is the big turn-off for me, and the fact that it doesn't do anything spectacular to my eyelashes.

I think that there's a reason that mascara wands look like they do and I think we should keep it that way... Sorry Avon, I'm not a fan.

Avon Mega Effects Mascara Before
My naked eye
Avon Mega Effects Mascara After
And with the Mega Effects mascara applied

 Do you follow me on Bloglovin' / Instagram / Twitter ? 
Categories: , , ,

2 comments:

  1. What the frick is that applicator brush all about?! I got confused about scale in the first photo (despite the well-placed playing cards) and thought it was the size of a paintbrush. Oh dear. See you on Thursday!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah it being the size of a paintbrush would be the only thing that would make it more terrifying!! xxxx

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...