Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Summer Fruit Pavlova Recipe | Perfect Dinner Party Dessert

The other day it was my Nanny's birthday (she doesn't want me telling you which ;)) and I decided to make a show stopper pudding. I thought about it, and decided to go for something that I hadn't made before- a pavlova. I'd seen people making them on Come Dine With Me, Dinner Date, Great British Bake Off (yes, I like cooking bases reality tv) and decided to give it a go. After all, if Dave from Coventry could rustle one up, what's to stop me?

Fruit Pavlova Recipe
A Fruit Pavlova Recipe for you

Looking at the pictures, I'd say it went pretty well! My Nanny certainly enjoyed it, as did the rest of the family. I think the top tips for making a pavlova are keeping the oven at a low temperature and adding the cream at the last minute, because otherwise it will make the meringue soggy. Oh, and don't forget to turn the bowl upside down over someone's head! (After you've checked that the meringue is stiff. Otherwise you've got a lot of apologising, and a lot of whisking to do!)

Fruit Pavlova Recipe
A mean and moody looking pavlova (it was a very sunny day)
I think that a meringue is the perfect pudding for a dinner party. It looks impressive and is relatively easy to make, so long as you have a lot of patience and enough time to let the meringue dry out properly. This is one case where turning up the oven to make it cook faster really doesn't work! 

I used this BBC Goodfood recipe, but used different fruit and didn't bother with mixing half the fruit into the cream. I probably would have if I wasn't so pushed for time! I don't have any photos of me cooking the pavlova because I am the world's messiest cook and it is not a good look for blog photos. Maybe next time when I have a bit more time.

Fruit Pavlova Recipe
A very well appreciated pavlova

 Summer Fruit Pavlova Recipe


For the meringue

4 egg whites
250g caster sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the topping

500g of chopped fruit (I used strawberries, mango, blueberries and kiwi)
350ml double cream, whipped
Icing sugar for dusting


Method


1. Heat the oven to 150 C (or 130 C if using gas) and line a baking tray with parchment paper
2. Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff. You can't turn the bowl upside down yet, but they will keep their shape when you remove the whisk
3. Slowly whisk in the caster sugar one tablespoon at a time until you can turn the bowl upside down without the meringue falling out
4. Whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla extract
5. Spoon the mixture onto the baking tray in a circle, leaving a dent in the middle, so it looks like a basket
6. Bake for an hour, then turn the oven off and leave the pavlova inside until it's completely cool
7. Just before serving, chop the fruit and whip the cream
8. Take the pavlova out of the oven once it's cool and spoon the cream on top. Add the fruit and a sprinkling of icing sugar to make it look really fancy
9. Serve and enjoy!

Hope you liked the recipe. Let me know if you make a pavlova!

Do you follow me on Bloglovin' / Instagram / Twitter ? 
Categories: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...