Saturday, 7 June 2014

Adventures In Baking- Hot Cross Buns!

Yes, yes, I know it's not Easter anymore, but I forgot to put these pictures of Hot Cross Buns on my blog and I'm pretty proud of them! My brother and I made them at Easter and used this Paul Hollywood recipe, which had very good reviews on BBC Goodfood. As we all know, the best bit about BBC Goodfood is reading the comments, and there weren't the usual slew of "I didn't have red peppers, so I used a yellow pepper instead and it was fine." ...You don't say....

Hot Cross Buns
One a penny, two a penny

Anyway, we decided to be all traditional and make Hot Cross Buns and were pretty impressed with how these turned out. The only thing I will say about this recipe is that although they taste good in the end, they need to prove three times, which means that they take forever to make if your house isn't particularly warm. It wasn't the hottest weekend ever, so it took pretty much all day to make them. This seems to be a recurring theme with my cooking...

Since making these, I tried a different recipe, which wasn't quite as prove-heavy and they tasted, I have to admit, a bit better. I did like this recipe, but the extra steps were a bit unnecessary. Soz, Paul, I  can't be bothered with proving dough three times when I can do it twice and get the same results. Lazy baker for life.

Hot Cross Buns
Adding the necessary butter

Hot Cross Buns
The glaze was made with apricot jam

Hot Cross Buns
Dat crumb
Categories: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...